All BARR Advisory, P.A. associates work remotely. Yep, you read that right. And it works exceptionally well for us, along with millions of other companies across the globe. Here are a few interesting statistics, according to Fundera, to noodle on if you yourself work remotely, or if you are considering it:
- The number of employers offering a work-from-home option has grown by 40 percent in the past five years.
- Two-thirds of managers who offer telecommuting flexibility report their employees are more productive overall.
- Employers offering at least part-time telecommuting flexibility collectively save $44 billion each year.
Of course, telecommuting doesn’t work for every person and every company. But there are certainly tips and tricks we’ve learned at BARR to help keep things running smoothly. Here are just a few:
- Instant Messaging. At BARR, we use Slack, but there are a number of options just like it on the market. This is a quick way to get questions answered and ideas shared. While most of our Slack channels are of the professional nature, we do also have some “fun” ones, including the always-popular #petsandkids channel. Instant messaging is a great way to get to know your teammates when they’re not sitting at a desk next to you.
- Video Chat. Just because you don’t get together in person doesn’t mean you can’t get together. Video chatting helps keep communication lines strong and allows people’s personalities to shine through.
- Digital Get-togethers. On a consistent basis, the full BARR team meets virtually over video chat. No project updates or deadlines are on the agenda- the purpose is are purely social and just for fun. We get to hear about each other’s lives outside of work. There are lots of laughs, stories and, yes, even memories made. It’s a great way to lift morale and build camaraderie.
- Employee-led Lunch and Learns. This is a unique way to allow staff members to share their talents with each other. At BARR, associates select a topic they want to speak to and present on it live. Fellow colleagues can watch it live, or at a later time via company archives. Topics can be work-related or just for fun.
- Maintain Consistent Hours. Sounds obvious, but keeping regular hours benefits your colleagues and your clients. It also benefits you by allowing for a better work-life balance.
Overall, it’s important to feel a sense of community even if you’re working remote. BARR’s community of professionals spans the U.S. and is growing quickly. Interested in working with us? Learn more about BARR and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.